The 90th Congress of the Humanities and Social Science is taking place virtually from May 27 to June 4, 2021.
What is Congress?
- A unique event that connects scholars, students, publishers, and the public, to discuss big ideas that have the power to transform the future.
- The convergence of scholarly associations, each holding their annual conference under one umbrella.
- The largest academic gathering in Canada — and one of the largest in the world – with between 5,000 and 10,000 participants depending on the year, and thousands of research papers presented.
- A nine-day event that has taken place in cities across Canada for the better part of a century – 90 years and counting!
- An education platform for engaging in the critical conversations of our time.
- A creative place to meet people, scholars, and professionals with different perspectives across humanities and social sciences.
Congress is organized by the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences in partnership with a different Canadian university each year. The Federation, partner university, scholarly associations and partners develop a full week of presentations, workshops, panels, public lectures, cultural events and receptions.
Congress 2021 is organized in partnership with the University of Alberta in Edmonton. The theme for this year’s Congress is “Northern Relations”.
The good news is… a lot of Congress programming is open to the community.
Whether your interests lie in history, literature, politics, poetry, sociology, media, film or fine arts, there’s bound to be something for you. From the weighty to the quirky, we have it all!
With so much excellent programming to explore, the options can be overwhelming. Here are a few suggestions that will help you navigate what’s out there, and what’s available to you, as a member of the community.
Browse the calendar of open events or visit the following program pages:
As a community pass holder, you can access over 100 hours of open events on the virtual Congress 2021 platform from May 27 to June 30 for only CAN$25. If you identify as Black or Indigenous, this pass is complimentary for you in 2021.
This is the secure link to register as a Community Participant: https://fhss.swoogo.com/21-registration-inscription?lang=en
IMPORTANT: Attending an association conference at Congress 2021? Register for it here. Community passes provide access to open events only.
Members of the community can also get involved by working or volunteering at Congress.