Call for volunteers
Congress 2021 volunteers play an essential role in Canada’s largest interdisciplinary conference, which will bring approximately 6,000 attendees together virtually. As a volunteer, you will gain valuable leadership skills by supporting the operations of Canada’s largest gathering of scholars, and contribute to delivering a memorable conference experience for attendees.
Congress 2021 is currently recruiting more than 400 volunteers in varying roles. This opportunity is open to everyone – students, staff, community members, anyone interested in making Congress 2021 an incredible experience. Join our team today to help showcase the best of Congress 2021, hosted virtually from the University of Alberta.
- Gain experience working on a large scale event
- Complimentary access to more than 100 hours of world-class academic events from public keynotes and the Big Thinking lecture series, to University of Alberta programming.
- Develop skills, such as customer service, technology set-up, time management, leadership, etc.
- Opportunity to network with scholars from across Canada and beyond
- Flexible scheduling based on your availability
- Access to onsite volunteer amenities
- Reference letters – upon request
- Welcome gifts and prizes for participation and achievement
As a Congress 2021 volunteer, you will have
- A positive attitude, a friendly and approachable demeanor, a willingness to learn new skills, and a strong commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive experience for all attendees
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Commitment of at least 12 hours for the duration of Congress (with shifts of varying length to be scheduled based on your availability)
- Experience using Zoom or Slack software
- If deciding to volunteer remotely from home, must have own access to equipment, high speed internet bandwidth strength and Zoom/Slack software
- Familiarity with PC, tablet and MAC computers
- French language skills (an asset)
Choose a volunteer position that interests you
- Volunteer Team Leads: supervise and support a team of volunteers. This role is perfect for those who have experience leading teams.
- Room Monitors: support speakers during their virtual Zoom presentations. Utilize features as needed such as, slideshow coordination and setting up pre-recorded videos. This role can be completed virtually or onsite.
- Volunteer Lounge Hosts: greet volunteers on campus and virtually with a smile and a welcome, and maintain an inviting space for volunteers to relax and refresh during breaks.
Note: most volunteers will volunteer onsite at the University of Alberta in Edmonton (subject to any and all COVID-19 protocols that may be in place at the time).
To register and create your volunteer profile, please click on the link above. From here, you will be directed to the Congress 2021 Volunteer Registration Form on InitLive, where we invite you to take a few minutes to tell us about yourself. You will receive an email notification on or before May 7 with next steps. Communications from us may come from the email@example.com email address or our volunteer software system, InitLive.
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org