Congress 2021 is a meeting of meetings comprised of 70+ different scholarly associations holding their own annual conferences, making it the largest academic gathering in Canada. In addition, a large number of events are opened to all attendees, including the general public registering with a community pass.
The Congress program is two-fold:
- Association closed programming (association conferences closed to the public)
- Congress open programming (including association open events and Federation and partner university programming)
Just pick and choose and make time in your agenda to broaden your horizons!
Access level: association conferences are only open to those who pay that association’s conference fee. Registration and badge are required.
Each scholarly association officially hosting its annual conference at Congress puts together its own conference program, a detailed schedule of all the sessions and events planned for their members to attend. Program information for each association’s conference is posted online as it becomes available. Find out what your and other associations are doing and get involved.
Association open events
Many associations choose to make some of their sessions open to a wider audience, in order to feature work being done in their discipline or to encourage interdisciplinary discussions. Meet with scholars from other fields and gain a truly interdisciplinary experience at Congress! You can browse the online calendar of open events for a listing of association open events:
- Filter results by choosing a specific association from the Host organization field or search by keyword
- Narrow your results by fields such as Date, Series or Language
The Federation, the partner university, and other partners and sponsors organize both academic and cultural open events during Congress. You will find these under a variety of programming streams: Big Thinking, Featured events, Career Corner, Congress Expo, and University of Alberta programming.
- Big Thinking: Hear leading scholars and public figures from around the globe present forward-thinking research, ideas and solutions to the critical questions and issues of our time.
- Career Corner: Partake in a professional development workshop series and learn about career advancement, teaching techniques, lesson planning, publishing research and careers beyond academia.
- Featured events: Browse a number of special events organized by the Federation and its partners.
- Congress Expo: Visit Canada's largest academic trade show featuring 50+ exhibitors, book launches, book signings, career presentations and networking receptions
More information coming soon.
Call for proposals: Scholarly associations are invited to submit proposals to collaborate on Featured events and on Career Corner workshops. Further information is available to Congress organizers through the Organizers Portal; please contact your scholarly association if you would like to submit a proposal.
See the FAQ page for more information.